Thursday, August 8, 2013

Salmon Patties! It's what's for Dinner!

Well my Sister would be proud of me.  I am so bad about writing down my recipes.  I have always made them up as I cook.  But this one, I actually did write down to share with all of you!

My family LOVES Salmon Patties.  My husband is a very picky eater and would not eat just cooked Salmon, but I knew he liked Tuna Patties. So, I started making Salmon Patties and he LOVED them.  


But wait?  Aren't Salmon Patties usually FRIED?  Yes they are, but you can fry stuff with the proper oil and it can be beneficial. 
I use Grapeseed Oil when I fry things.  It has a high smoking point. 
It is able to handle high-temperatures without smoking, burning or splattering.  As it has a smoke point (around 485 F) higher than other oils. Grape seed oil can be safely used for deep frying and baking.  It has a light nutty flavor and lacks the heaviness of other oils.
It is high in Vitamin E, 75% Linoleic Acid (Omega-6) and low in Saturated Fat. 

Since I have switched to using Grapeseed Oil over Vegetable Oil, my Cholesterol numbers have been very good..so good that Doc took me off my Cholesterol medications! 


So here is the recipe for these yummy...
SALMON PATTIES!


This recipe makes 3 good size patties.  It all depends on how big or little you want them. 
 
Ingredients:
1 Green Onion
2 Tbls Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 of tsp of lemon
2 Individual Pkg of Suzies Organic Saltines (about 12 indv. crackers) 
2 Eggs (beaten) 
1 Pinch of Salt (I use Pink Himalayan Salt) 
2 Cans of Wild Planet Alaskan Pink Salmon (sustainably raised) 



 Finely chop your Green Onion and put it in the bowl.  If you like more onion, you can add another.  My husband doesn't like a lot of onion and it has to be finely chopped for him.



Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons.  Don't throw away the pulp, you will need it! Put in 2 Tbls of lemon juice into your bowl and reserve the rest for when the Salmon Patties are on the plate and ready to eat! 

Add a 1/4 of a teaspoon of the lemon pulp into your bowl.  Just make sure you don't get any seeds.


Smash up 2 Individual Packages of Suzie's Organic Saltines (approx 12 individual crackers). The package below has about 12 individual packages in it.   If you are gluten free, you might be able to find another binder, but you will need something to use to bind the patties together.  I tried almond flour but the consistency was a little grainy.  You could probably use Gluten Free Pretzels.  This is the only recipe that I make that contains any kind of gluten, otherwise, I stay away from it. 
I use my Nutribullet to ground up my crackers to a fine consistency.  You could also use a processor.  Add the crackers to your mixing bowl.  



Beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl and pour them into your mixing bowl. 

Add 2 cans of Wild Planet Alaskan Pink Salmon.  
This is the only canned meat that I use.  I don't normally do any foods that have labels on them but the crackers and the Salmon I do, but I make sure the Salmon is Sustainably Caught and never frozen. 
Add your Salmon to the bowl along with a pinch of salt. 

With a fork, mix all the ingredients together until they are well incorporated.  Wash your hand really good and now it is time to form the patties.  I usually pack my mixture to the bottom of the bowl then separate it into three sections to make three patties.  
I use just enough Grapeseed oil to cover the bottom of the pan..about 2-3 Tablespoons.  You don't want the patties swimming in the oil. 
Heat your oil over Medium High Heat. 
Once Heated, CAREFULLY place your patties in the oil and cook about 4-5 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.  
These in the pic fell apart a little because I tried using only 1 pkg of crackers. 
 Once they are done, place them on a paper towel to drain and plate them up. 

We had steamed Summer Squash and fried Green Beans/Mushrooms/Onions (Fried in Coconut Oil), and Fried Jicama!  Yep, that is right, I said Fried Jicama. 
I will post the benefits of Jicama and ways to cook it in my next post. 
We use it instead of using Potatoes and it has made a huge difference, and it is GOOD too! 
Here is the finished dinner! You can pour a little lemon juice on the Salmon Patty for a great addition!
This is now what I call "comfort food" and it is all healthy for you! 


Have a happy and healthy day! 

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!