Monday, September 9, 2013

Homemade Muscle Rub


*Note I am not a doctor and this has not been evaluated by the Federal Government...these are remedies that work for me..not all EOs work the same for everybody...use EOs with caution.



This recipe has the basic Essential Oils for homemade Tiger Balm, with a few extras.   My husband and I both use this as a pre-work out salve on joints that we know is giving us problems or when we have worked around the yard or the house and know that we might be sore after days end. 



The general salve rule I use is for every cup of oil, I use 2 tablespoons of beeswax.   This recipe is for a smaller portion.
Ingredients:
Salve Recipe
½  Tablespoon beeswax
1/2 Cup of Coconut oil


Few drops of Vitamin E oil (this acts as a preservative)

Place coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler and melt at a low heat stirring occasionally.
Pour melted oils in your glass container then add your Vitamin E oil.  Let oils cool for about 10 minutes before adding your Essential oils or they will evaporate more quickly.

Or, you can use the Whipped Body Lotion Recipe that you can find HERE

Blend the following Essential Oils in a blending bottle
Essential Oils
10 drops camphor or Ravintsara (Ravintsara is Eucalyptol’ (1,8-cineol)  I use Ravintsara.
Eucalyptol’ (1,8-cineol)
Eucalyptol’ (1,8-cineol)
Eucalyptol’ (1,8-cineol)
9 drops peppermint essential oil
7 drops eucalyptus essential oil
5 drops clove essential oil
5 drop cinnamon essential oil
5 drop of helichrysum (optional)
3 drops of blue tansy (optional)


For every 4oz or lotion or salve, I use 40-50 drops of the essential oil blend



Stir your Essential Oils into your salve with a small wooden spoon or I use two bamboo skewers.  I don’t like to use metal in my salves as Coconut oil has the ability to remove rust from metal.  You risk contaminating your salve by using a metal spoon.

Immediately after you stir in your essential oils, cover your jar immediately so your oils do not evaporate.

Essential Oil Properties:
Camphor- Relieves Pain/ Ravintsara is Anti-Rheumatic (prefer to use the Ravintsara)
Peppermint Oil-analgesic and anaesthetic
Eucalyptus- analgesic and anti-inflammatory
Clove- Analgesic and antispasmodic
Cinnamon-anaesthetic and antispasmodic
Helichrysum- analgesic and anti-inflammatory, regenerative
Blue Tansy- anti-inflammatory, analgesic


I like to get my essential oil products from a local source.  They are great quality oils and products at very reasonable prices and the always have great specials going on! 


I have no affiliation to Ananda Apothecary. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!